Sunday, November 11, 2012

Love, Honor and Respect in Celebration of Veterans

Today I share with you a tribute of love, honor and respect to those who serve their country and humanity to preserve freedom.  My maternal grandfather, Chester Stockam, fought in World War II.  My dad, Big Jim, was in the army when I was little, then was a deputy sheriff when I was a pre-teen.  My step father-in-law fought in Vietnam and my father-in-law was in the Navy.  One of my daughter's best friends now serves in the US Air Force and was in Afghanistan.

This past summer Jesse and I had the honor of living next door to Jules, a World War II veteran.  He is 95 and makes the best Sock It To Me cake ever!  Since we were caring for Grandma, we didn't have much of a social life, so Jules would come over and visit us as often as he could.  I loved to hear about his travels while serving our country and he enjoyed sharing them.  The hours we spent reminiscing took me back to Grandma's kitchen table listening in fascination to every word my Grandpa Stockam shared with me about his time away from home during World War II.

Grandpa was called to serve our country first, then while he was away, one of his brothers was called.  Several months later while eating in a mess tent with hundreds of other soldiers on the other side of the world, Grandpa ran into his brother, proving that even though there were no cell phones or social media, we were still connected.

Grandpa received the Purple Heart when his hand was injured by shrapnel.  He was proud of serving his country, but shared with me when he showed me the scar on his hand, that he felt he was undeserving of the Purple Heart because the wound was so insignificant.  Little did he know then that he needed that Purple Heart so five years after his death, I could finally have it in my possession, to love honor and respect not only him, but all who serve to protect.

Grandpa's Purple Heart holds tremendous energy - it is almost overwhelming.  When I hold it I feel the pain of separation from loved ones as well as being a part of something so much bigger than one person or one family - or even one country.  I feel the connection we each have to one another through the essence of God within us.  Holding it magnifies God's love that transcends time, distance and even death.

As I hold the Purple Heart I'm reminded of Grandpa running into his brother in a mess tent in a foreign country.  In my mind's eye I see him in full uniform - saluting me - and the veil thins...

In love and light,
Kate

No comments: