Monday, November 7, 2011

Dementia/Alzheimer's touches everyone...

My grandmother is now 90 years old and lives in an assisted living facility.  Mondays and Fridays have been our scheduled day to talk on the phone for years, plus any other day during the week that I feel the urge to call her.  ...and we're talkers... This is why I don't schedule any client appointments on Monday or Friday mornings before 11am my time.

Recently when I called her, I woke her from a cat nap and when I asked her what she was doing, she told me she was trying to decide if she was going to call her mother or wait till later.  Grandma explained to me that her mother goes to church in the mornings and she wanted to make sure she was home before calling.

Grandma's mother, my Grandma Hailey, died in 1984.  My immediate reaction was a human one - my heart broke and I began to cry.  As I listened to her indecision as to whether to call Grandma Hailey now or wait, I swallowed my tears then told her that maybe she should wait a while to make sure she was home.

The phone call with grandma sent me into a tailspin of human emotions.  I'm clearly grieving this change in her and when I cry, the wracking sobs come from the very cells of my body.  I may only cry for a couple of minutes, but my eyes become so tender that light hurts them and I feel completely drained and exhausted. After we got off the phone I allowed myself to cry for a few minutes, then I washed my face and moved on with my day with the pain of this change hovering over me until I stepped out of the emotions and into the place of observer.

From the open heart of observer I connected with grandma's higher self.

Every time I've "stepped in" to chat with her higher self, she's been surrounded by her mother and sisters who are all in the angelic realm - and this day was no different.  They  were all together, talking excitedly and laughing so hard that grandma had laughter/joy tears rolling from her eyes - and she looked beautiful as a younger version of herself.

Months ago Grandma and I talked about life changes and death of the physical body, specifically, hers.  Grandma and I are very close with a very tight spiritual, telepathic connection.  She has held the door to unconditional love for my human and spiritual being-ness fully supporting me and my work without judgment all my life.  Months ago I told her that when she is ready to go home to the angelic realm, I fully support her.  After my phone call with her, I realized my spiritual self supports her life changes, but my human side is balking - fighting it every step of the way - taking back my support for her freedom of leaving the heavy, old physical body that we call "living."

So this time, when I chatted with Grandma's higher self, I thanked her for her love, her support, her non-judgment and her full acceptance of me as who I am.  Then I told her we are both ok and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her like I see my dad, Big Jim.  I told her these things because one, they are true and two, because I don't want to be the energy that is keeping her here in the physical world. Instead of clutching at the physical-ness of my grandma, I'm breathing deeply and blessing her with love from my heart.

I still allow myself to have my human grief moments, but then I end them with a deep, cleansing breath sending her love and light in joy of the continued communication that we will always have and blessing her on her journey.

In stepping outside my human pain as an observer I also realized that Grandma contemplating calling her mother as if she were alive, validates what I keep "seeing" when I step in to speak with Grandma's higher self - she is spending time with her mom and knows that she can call her - anytime.  She probably won't be physically calling her on the phone, but I can't say that if she does Grandma Hailey won't answer, because she just might!  The veil between the spirit world and our third dimension is growing exponentially thin...

We are all human and must allow ourselves to grieve the pain of loss.  But when it comes to a loved one experiencing an illness like Dementia/Alzheimer's and their ability to communicate with us in traditional ways is coming to an end, there are alternative ways to communicate.

When my grandpa had dementia in 2007 and was unable to communicate coherently with the family, I learned how to connect with his higher self and talk to him.  Through my experience I found that when our loved ones are not lucid they are in the angelic realm or spirit world - reconnected with other loved ones who are deceased AND... that they are fine - happy in fact.

As humans, grief of some life changes is inevitable.  Know that no matter who you are, you can communicate with your loved ones who have Dementia/Alzheimer's or any other illness that prevents them from conversing with you through traditional methods of communication.

If you need more help, I also share this method of communication in the Waiting in the Other Room book and through the Communicating through Dementia guided meditation and the Alzheimer's Alternative Care class.

In love and light,
Kate

No comments: