Sunday, June 13, 2010

Suppressed Anger will Steal Your Power

Since I fractured my ankle on May 25, life has taken on a new set of challenges. In the beginning, brushing my teeth was a "production." Oh my goodness, the things we take for granted!

Over the past few weeks I've learned:

* My belief that I am a gracious receiver was incorrect!
* My definition of "clutter" is important only to me.
* The difference in how my mind processes information and the way my husband's mind processes information only matters when I'm unable to do things for myself.
* Moving from point "A" to point "B" using crutches requires complete focus - without deviation.
* My world revolves around ice water and I'm picky about how it is put together as well as what glass it is in.
* Expressing anger and releasing it fully is critical to healing.

I discovered that my inner belief has been that anger doesn't help anything, so I stuff it. Hmmm... stuffing anger is not a wise choice! When we stuff anger back into our body instead of releasing it (in a constructive, healthy way) it finds another way to come out - typically through a physical ailment.

Louise L. Hay explains this in her book You Can Heal Your Life. She discusses how to identify suppressed anger and offers healthy ways to release it - one example is plummeting a pillow. No one gets hurt, nothing is destroyed and the anger is dissipated! Pounding a pillow hasn't been a part of my daily routine, but I've taken an oath that I'm willing to change my thinking patterns and beliefs that no longer serve me - and suppressing anger does NOT serve me!

What about you? If you step back as an observer and look honestly at your life, do you suppress your anger? Try pounding a pillow and take back your power!

Blessings,
Kate

No comments: